Thursday, June 17, 2010

Must See

If you haven't seen Les Parapluies de Cherbourg (The Umbrellas of Cherbourg) you most definitely should. I won't give you a plot summary or spoil the ending, but it's the story of the ill fated romance between two teens (Geneviève and Guy). 

Sounds like it could be interesting, right? But did I mention that the movie is sort of like an opera? Yup, that's right. Every word of dialogue is sung. Beautifully so. I'm a sucker for a musical, so it's obvious why I loved this movie.

But if that doesn't do it for you, maybe the film's bright scenes and candy colored wardrobe will. It's a stunning film to look at (has anyone seen Pushing Daisies? It's like that.) and the clothes are just lovely in late fifties, early sixties style.

I love this story. It's visually beautiful and the singing just adds to the movie's magic. The ending will break your heart (lost romance, a life that was never meant to be, what could have been... all that good stuff).

 


 
Catherine Deneuve as Geneviève.

 

 

 

 

 

Also, I have to mention that the score in this film is FANTASTIC! Just another reason for you to see it! And if you have seen it, what did you think?

Hope all is well,

Emily
Photos: Koch-Lorber Films



I found this while browsing a copy of Lucky magazine. Alison Lewis designed a collection for Target inspired by The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. I can definitely see the inspiration there. Cute dress!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate your comments, read them and try to comment back! If you haven't, please follow me (on my page, Twitter, Bloglovin, or IFB)!