Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Three Strikes in Soho

So a weekend or two ago, I thought I'd hit up a few vintage shops in one stop before finals, stress from finals starts, and before leaving NY for the summer. I went to three shops and then to the Soho Park Cafe for lunch in (guess which neighborhood...) Soho.

First stop was Screaming Mimi's:




Mimi's was one of the higher-end vintage stores I've heard of, but frankly I don't think high priced vintage is my thing. I didn't really see designer pieces, though there selection of pieces was well edited. Mimi's was too expensive and didn't fit my needs, so I left empty handed and headed over to...

Zachary's Smile:



One of my beloved Vogue contributors wrote about Zachary's Smile in her book (I had a great idea to do a post on the book just now. Will do!). I was intrigued, so I thought I'd stop by. This shop was better price-wise, but nothing really fit my taste. I did find some really beautiful things under the shops namesake label, but, alas, the label was too expensive. Oh, well... I moved right along to...

Housing Works:


One of my friend's stumbled upon this store when we were looking for places to go in Brooklyn for this post . We never made it to the one in Brooklyn, but they have an excellent website: here. Most items are donated and proceeds go to New Yorkers living with HIV and AIDS. 

AND (drumroll...) it's relatively inexpensive to shop here. I only came home with one thing, but I was eyeing a cute Marc Jacobs top (which they had about ten of in different sizes!). They sell vintage furniture and housing wares, too, like satin curtains for $8 for each panel and book ends for $6 each.

Also, next door is a cafe/bookstore full of vintage and used books on the cheap. It was a terribly charming antique/used book store with a very hip vibe. I love Housing Works! Do visit their website because they have some great things!

I bought this vintage bag for $5 dollars! I saw it and I wanted it, so the price didn't matter at the time, but what a deal!

Here's what I wore it with on Saturday night to go out:

I think a fashion mag would write me up for mixing my metals. Silver sequins and a gold bag? Gasp. But you know what they say, rules are meant to be broken.



I also made it to H&M and Madewell that day. So introducing my new H&M embellished tee. It was on sale for $10. Why? I have no idea. I love it!

Worn with a BCBG skirt, leopard print shoes from Urban, and my new vintage bag from Housing Works!

Have a great day all!

Emily

1 comment:

  1. I wish we had an H and M where I live because I really like that top!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate your comments, read them and try to comment back! If you haven't, please follow me (on my page, Twitter, Bloglovin, or IFB)!