Saturday, January 23, 2010

Up in the Air


I flew back to NYC Monday (on a 6 AM flight, no less). I was truly exhausted and not really ready to leave home and my family yet, but I got to spend some time on my own on my way and got to thinking about how much I love airports. 


I watched the movie this post was titled after and I was thrilled to see so many of the different airports. Usually in film airports are either glamorous, happy, or sort of depressing. Up in the Air showed some to be bleak and industrial, others hopeful and somehow comfortable. It made me want to sit in an airport bar and have a drink while people-watching.

 I think the movie quite accurately portrays what it's like to travel alone. At times it feels lonely, but when you take a moment to think about it, quite a few people are alone. Like it was in the movie, it's a little bleak, a little humbling, but it can also be  a fun adventure. 


I managed to take this picture (and the others, below) without getting stampeded in the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport. I've been through it a few times and I am always pleased to walk off a plane to the sight of the giant floor to ceiling glass walls. It's an architectural feat, in my humble opinion. It's a beautiful sight after being cooped up on a plane for so long.


It's a great place to sit and think and I always get to thinking about traveling on my own. I have been so fortunate in the past few years to be able to travel quite a bit with friends, family, and on my own. I've found that, though it is a little lonely, I like traveling on my own. I look forward to it. It's a great opportunity to think and its such a unique feeling.



I think airports are great places to take pictures, but it can be a challenge in busy ones. I managed to snag a few. I'd like to continue to update this post... I think travel photos are the best. Some of the larger airports have some great views, which could get any weary traveler out a funk. 
Enjoy
On a plane from NY.
The local airport in my hometown. Gotta' love the southwestern style chairs!
The sun setting on the way home from NY. I wasn't supposed to have my camera on...


Views from Dallas/Ft Worth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate your comments, read them and try to comment back! If you haven't, please follow me (on my page, Twitter, Bloglovin, or IFB)!